For Professionals and Providers
Family Caregiver Navigator is an options-counseling service focused exclusively on the health and wellness of Idaho caregivers -
not the person who is receiving care. Using an evidence-based tool, Navigators conduct an assessment of caregiver needs and
burnout factors, then generate a person-centered action plan with outside referrals to connect them with resources and services to improve their quality of life.
Research shows that by supporting caregivers, we also support the patient. Watch the video above or scroll down to the FAQ to learn more about our program and how professionals and providers play a critical role in sending caregivers our way.
Please notify the person you are referring that they will be receiving a call from 208-426-5899. Following submission, an email confirmation will be sent to the referring party and the Navigator. We will make 2 attempts to contact the caregiver within 2 business days.
For more background on the goals, purpose, and community partners of the Family Caregiver Navigator project, please check out the About page. To learn more about the process, scroll to the FAQs.
Take advantage of our downloadable toolkit with digital outreach materials you can share with patients, clients and colleagues in your network who may be interested in or benefit from the Family Caregiver Navigator project. Postcards and brochures are print-ready PDFs, however, we recommend requesting hard copy materials if they are needed in quantity.
The toolkit contains:
- Digital flyer with instructions for professionals/providers
- Printable brochure for caregivers
- Digital postcard for caregivers
- Social media content for organizations
If you’d like to request hard copy materials for your organization or clinic or schedule a live zoom presentation for your workgroup - please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Not sure if your organization or services are in our database? Enter the information here and it will be submitted to our database for consideration in our custom care plans.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you explain the process in detail?
Family Caregiver Navigator is a free options-counseling service focused on caregivers - not the person who is receiving care. Using evidence-informed tools, Navigators conduct an assessment that evaluates the caregiver needs and generates a person-centered action plan with outside referrals to address their quality of life factors.
Here’s how it works
- Caregivers take our brief screener online (or with the assistance of a professional) which triggers an outbound call from the Family Caregiver Navigator. You can also submit a referral to trigger a call. Caregivers can also skip this step and simply call us directly at 208-426-5899. A 1-hour appointment is scheduled to examine caregiving factors such as relationship management, task management, and self-care. The assessment is conducted by telephone or Zoom depending on preference, and interpreters can be used as necessary.
- The Navigator generates recommendations based on results, ranging from services needed for the care recipient (i.e., respite care or Medicaid enrollment) to services the caregiver needs personally (support groups, wellness workshops, financial support policies etc.). Together they identify priorities for follow-up in a custom care plan, which we sometimes refer to as a “map” in our marketing.
- A warm referral process connects the caregiver directly with organizations and services when possible. Appointments at the 3-month and 6-month mark are available to formally check-in, but caregivers can initiate contact with the Navigator at any time to update or amend their care plan.
What type of caregivers are eligible?
We define caregivers as adults who provide unpaid or family care for another individual, of any age, with physical, intellectual or cognitive disabilities, or mental health condition(s). This includes certified family homes or those who receive some compensation for caregiving. This free program is available to all residents of Idaho.
What is the cost of the program?
The Family Caregiver Navigator program is free of charge to participants and Medicaid enrollment is not required.
Are referrals required to participate in the program?
No, referrals are not required for the program but trusted community professionals play a critical role in sending overwhelmed caregivers our way. Caregivers can, however, initiate their own participation by scheduling an appointment or calling 208-426-5899.
How long does the process take for a caregiver?
How much time a caregiver spends working with a Navigator in the program all depends on the caregiver's needs, comfort level, and their level of engagement with their care plan. There are 4 core appointments that make up the program:
- Full assessment: 45-60 minutes
- Care plan consultation: 30-45 minutes
- Care plan check-in, 3 months: 45-60 minutes
- Care plan check-in, 6 months: 45-60 minutes
At any point in between these appointments, the caregiver is free to get in touch with the Navigator if they need additional help or would like to amend their plan.
Is this process accessible to those with disabilities?
We do our best to serve our participants with disabilities and/or impairments. Please let us know if a caregiver requires accommodation and we will provide an interpreter or provide information in a more accessible format.
What about non-English speakers?
Family Caregiver Navigator has two Spanish speaking navigators. As needed, navigators use on-demand interpretation services to serve non-English speakers via telephone in dozens of languages. Email and text communication are available in English and Spanish. See our Español section for a downloadable postcard and explanation of our program.
How can my organization work with Family Caregiver Navigator to create a mutual referral process?
Please contact us at email@example.com, give us a call at 208-426-5899. We'd love to discuss this with you.